Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy F'ing Father's Day

I recently read a good post about trying to find a good Father's Day card for a father of a child with special needs.  Here is the link:  http://utahmaks.blogspot.com/p/perfect-fathers-day-card_05.html.  It's a great post, although it's a little nicer than I am as you can see by my title.  You would think that Father's Day for a father of children with special needs would be a massive celebration because it should be.  My husband deserves a fantabulous Father's Day.  He deserves a day dictated only by his desires, his needs, his wants.  Instead, he will be subject to the daily difficulties and upsets.  Complicating things, his work is hounding him (he has to work at midnight tonight - lucky him), and I have been made temporarily useless after a seemingly minor back procedure.

I can relate to the anonymous author of the post above.  When I was looking for a Father's Day card, I found myself laughing out loud at how different typical father's lives must be.  Since the cards are for the majority of the population instead of us deviants, it's a bit of a slap in the face to be reminded that my husband could have an easier life.  I realized that I needed to reinterpret what Father's Day means to our family.  Instead of a manly day of rest and play, it's should be a day for me to honor him for not giving up, for loving his sons even when they don't appreciate him - which is too often, for loving me even when I'm stressed out and unable to just be his wife instead of a mom of special needs children.  This Father's Day, he may not smile as much as I'd like or he may not be as relaxed as I would want him to be but I will show him my appreciation as he and I as a team meet the challenges of autism head on together.

Although I was tempted to buy an "encouragement" card which seemed more fitting, I finally found a Father's Day card which I took the liberty of editing by adding some things to the pictures and including my own conversation bubbles to make it fit us and him better.  I hope it at least makes him smile and the he is aware that he is incredibly special to me and the children and that, although it can be very difficult, we appreciate him for rising above it all despite its difficulties.

With love to my husband of nearly 10 years.  Smooch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by WebRing.