Friday, April 2, 2010

Have a light?


Prior to my son's diagnosis a few months ago, I might have noticed that today was Autism Awareness Day.  Then again I might not have.  In the past, I often viewed public awareness days in a detached sort of fashion.  I supported the idea of awareness days but didn't truly appreciate what they might mean to those impacted by the condition being highlighted.  Autism Lesson 3,432:  Awareness days are important.

As a stay at home parent who spends 95% of my time caring for my children, it is very easy for me to feel isolated and alone in our situation.  Today, as I comforted one of my 3 year olds who had a bloody nose after a bad confrontation with his autistic brother, I considered how many other mothers in my situation are experiencing similar frustrations and disappointments.  Parents around the world are struggling with the same or similar questions, are feverishly reading as much as they can about their child's condition.  Today, all around the world, many are taking notice.  I am so appreciative of those who are not directly affected by autism who simply care enough to participate.

In an effort to get the world's attention, many are lighting it up blue thanks to the awesome efforts of Autism Speaks.  From lighting up public buildings, wearing blue or putting a single blue bulb out on their front porch, people around the world are taking a moment to focus on autism.  Tonight, I was moved when I looked at the pictures posted on Light It Up Blue.  Even the Empire State Building was lit up in blue.  Seriously, how awesome is that?

The number of children being diagnosed with autism is disturbing.  The latest statistics show that 1 in 110 children and 1 in 70 boys are affected by autism.  My son is one of many.  My family is one of many.  Although the lights won't be blue tomorrow (although the entire month of April is considered autism awareness month), our children will still be affected by autism.  Just the simple act of focusing people's attention on this condition for one day could lead to inspiration, could give someone that extra boost they need and, at the very least, could help us all feel less alone as we continue to care for our dear, darling children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by WebRing.