Monday, June 14, 2010

Broccoli anyone?

My Mom has told me several times how, when my brother and I were just little guys, she would worry about her health.  More than once she thought she had some horrible, awful disease or illness and she would panic because she knew that my brother and I needed her.  Of course, she didn't tell me these things when I was kid.  She told me as an adult.  When she first told me I didn't have children so I couldn't really relate.  Since she was talking to me as an adult, it was clear she hadn't actually had a severe illness, only anxiety.

It's funny how life teaches lessons over a lifetime.  What once was an interesting (and surprising) story at the time, has become a part of my own reality.  I simply can't afford to not be well, physically or mentally.  Illness is not an option except it's not actually in my control or, at least, not completely.  I'll admit, I have had a few scares since I have had children.  I've even had a few surgeries but, fortunately, I have recovered and my life hasn't been in jeopardy.  Each time something like that occurs, though, it's a bit of a reality check because our life starts and ends in its own time whether we want it or not.

I'm fortunate to not have deep anxiety about my health but I am quite conscious of it, even  more so after receiving surprisingly disappointing lab work measuring my cholesterol.  After years of good results, I wasn't even awaiting the results of my lab work.  When the nurse called and told me they wanted me to try diet and exercise to see if that would lower it, it was like someone grabbed my face and made me focus.  Since I have been exercising religiously for the last 6 months or so, I knew that wasn't the problem.  It's either my diet (which is called the :left over, graze when you can diet") or my genes.  To be safe, I'm eating horribly healthy now.  I will officially say I'm on a diet which is a word I tend not to use because isn't everyone on a diet? 

I'm curious how I would have reacted to the lab work if I didn't have kids.  Would I be good for a few days then slack off, or would I stick it out the 3 months until the next time they drew my blood?  I guess there is no way to really know but I do know that, since all 3 of my boys depend on me (and some more than others), I have no choice.  I can't let them down by not taking care of myself properly.

My Mom is now in a stage of her life where she is not filled with the same anxiety about her life (at least I don't think she is).  Both her kids are grown and have their own families.  She has grandbabies who adore her not to mention her husband, my Dad, with whom she has been married for nearly 50 years.  Of course, I'm sure she has anxiety about us kiddos still and that she worries about how autism may affect her grandsons but I know she doesn't run to the doctor for every unidentified symptom as I am tempted to do these days.  As my boys grow older and more independent, I wonder how much they will need me.  Will I be able to relax about my health at some point, or will my presence be critical for their success in life?  Only time will tell but I will do my part now to improve my health in order that I will have a chance to be there for them for as long as they need me.

2 comments:

  1. Heather, have you been reading my mind? I have always harbored a little anxiety about my health and it has been magnified since Dad's passing. I think about those worst case scenarios and I know it is not healthy to do so, and I so trying to lose that fatalistic attitude, but it has been difficult. You ask some poignant questions. I have no answers, but must say, your post resonated with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rudri, I'm sorry that you're worrying too! :-) Thanks for sharing your feelings. I think your feelings are perfectly natural considering what you have had to go through. I would hope that it would lessen with time - either that or one reaches a new peace with one's own mortality. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by WebRing.